Duckyls Farm Manager Karen Tolton will travel to Florida in early 2024, to take part in the 48.6 mile ‘Disney Dopey Challenge’
In January 2024, Duckyls Farm Manager Karen and her sister-in-law Lorna will travel to the USA to run in four different races, with a total distance of 48.6 miles to raise funds to buy a summer house for the Farm’s allotment garden. Not for the faint-hearted, The Disney Dopey Challenge comprises a 5km run on the 4 January, 10km on the 5 January, a half marathon on 6 January and a full marathon on the 7 of January.
Karen’s training regime is currently in full swing and she is delighted to have the support of the eight Duckyl’s Farm residents, who have learning disabilities, and the rest of the Duckyls team who have decided that to show their support for her challenge they will together walk her total running distance by each walking to the garden and back ten times, between now and 4 January. Karen said, “Having never run a marathon before this is certainly a huge and very daunting challenge and I am trying not to think about the total miles I will run over the weekend. The residents at Duckyls Farm love being outside on our 100 acre farm and enjoy helping with the gardening. I know how much they would benefit from having somewhere in the allotment garden to enjoy a drink and a break, so I have set up a Just Giving page to try and raise £500 so that we can buy a summer house.”
Duckyls resident Simon Bone is very excited at the idea of fundraising for Diagrama and said, “A summer house would be good.” He was asked to be Karen’s coach but declined the offer!
Duckyls resident Glen Waters said about the walking, ‘I like it, it will be easy but I will take it slowly so I don’t get short of breath’, then hearing about the plans for a summer house added, ‘We could have a BBQ by the summer house for fun, we can eat meals there and play some music’.
To help Karen reach her target to provide a summer house for Duckyl’s Farm visit: www.justgiving.com/page/km-tolton-1695198092086?utm_medium=fundraising and to find out more about Duckyls Farm visit www.diagramafoundation.org.uk/duckyls-farm
Notes to Editors
‘The Disney Dopey Challenge’ takes place at Walt Disney World, Florida between 4 and 7 January 2024.
About Diagrama Foundation
Diagrama Foundation is a Kent based charity that supports vulnerable children, young people, and adults to live their best life.
Diagrama has a Supported Living Service across Bromley, three homes for adults with learning disabilities in Orpington, an eight-bed care home for adults with learning disabilities in West Sussex a fifty-bed care home for the elderly with nursing and dementia needs in Essex, and a fostering and adoption service in the southeast.
- The Supported Living Service, cares for 35 adults with learning disabilities, in nine homes across Bromley helping them to develop skills and confidence to live in their own house either on their own or with others.
- At Cabrini House in Orpington the charity promotes the development of core skills for 23 adults with learning disabilities so that they can lead independent lives integrated within their community.
- Duckyls Farm in West Sussex, a care home for eight residents with learning disabilities, joined the charity care provider in February 2023.
- The team at their nursing and dementia care home, Edensor Care Centre in Clacton on Sea, support vulnerable residents to live life to the full.
- Diagrama’s adoption and fostering service cares for children in South London, Kent, Sussex, and Surrey.
Many vulnerable children and adults don’t get the support they need to develop their true potential, but the Diagrama team know that when someone has time and belief invested in them, they come alive, because that investment has made them feel valued and worthy.